Tuesday, July 31, 2012

To Both Sides Regarding the Chick-fil-A Fiasco


<Start Rant>

I am so annoyed, angry, sad, frustrated at both dies in this whole thing. I don’t think any of the liberals or conservatives are doing anything good, beneficial, or productive; each with their own brand of hate-mongering and boycotting. Both sides are wrong, wrong because of how they are reacting, over-reacting to everything.

The company doesn't deny food to homosexuals, nor do they deny them employment. In fact, I have worked side-by-side in retail before with at least three homosexuals... and you know what... I have my belief (that it is wrong/a sin) but it is their life and they can live how they want, even if I disagree. They were all great people and I respected them and their choice.

Should my choice to disagree not be respected too? Do you know it was me, the Christian and ministry person, who was telling others to stop when they were joking about them or calling them names behind their backs. Once, I was conversing with a homosexual co-worker on MySpace, who was being kicked out of her house by her parents because she was a homosexual. That wasn't right! Her parents should have loved and accepted her as a person, even if they disagreed (and she also should have respected their right to disagree as well).

I am just so over all of this!

<End Rant>

 Ok... Now I am calming down...

I wonder, have we at times chosen to so brazenly and blindly run toward others in anger and reaction, trying to stand up for our own values, to try to make everyone else look like us, that we have forgotten the love of Christ? I say this to both sides of this argument. I do not feel God's love and grace on either extreme right now.

Did not Jesus let the Rich Young Ruler walk away sad when he chose not to follow (MT 19:16-22). I think what really annoys us is that just like Jesus, God gives us choices, choices to reject him or follow, to choose sin or not, to live one way or another... and yet, we don’t think other people deserve this choice, if we disagree with them. God gave us free-will, and we each use that will to live how we see fit and believe, for which God will ultimately judge.

Here is my problem: If everything is legislated, then what of compassion, grace, and love? Are they freely given or forced upon others by laws. It can only end badly, for everyone involved, if we continue down this route. Should the conservative-religious take up arms and murder those who are not Christians or do not conform to their ideals of faith. Shall we start a new inquisition? Should the liberal-atheists drag Christians out into the streets and put them out of their misery because of their beliefs and traditions?

Shall we be ruled by hate and fear or by truth, grace, and love?
Is the gospel to be forced upon the lives of others...
or should it be heard and accepted freely?

To be clear: My faith is not threatened by any of this. Of course, my belief in a fallen humanity in need of grace, love, and the gospel is deepened. Of course, you may disagree with me... and I am fine with that, as long as we are each respecting one another and there is no violence or hate between us in either direction.

I believe where there is persecution and oppression, freedom is squelched; whether that freedom is of the religious, anti-religious, conservatives, or liberals to say what they believe and practice doing so. When any looses freedom of speech and religion (or anti-religion), soon we all loose freedom.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. – Matthew 5:43-48

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” 28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.” 29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor? …” – Luke 10:25-29

~ Boldness & Compassion

Other Articles/Links:

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts here man! Thanks for writing...er....typing them out..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback.. er... comment ;.)

      ~ B & C

      Delete